Share | 

What's up with .COM???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore

PostSubject: What's up with .COM???   Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:51 am

It's quiet here lately so here's a question, does anybody know what's up with the .COM server this time? I noticed the name change to =MNC= Hunting Grounds, then it went offline. AOWC still lists .COM as a SWBF2 PS2 server.

There is also a new 14 slot server called =MNC= Hunting Grounds hosted out of AOWC's New York hub. Oddly Game Tracker says it's in Puerto Rico, hmmm (Mandaloreex needs a geography lesson) but it's currently down as well.

I saw no mention of anything on .COM's website and I am unable to post there. headwall (I don't think they like me).

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow sh*t up.

Blowing sh*t up since 1978
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Apocalypse}Sho'Nuff
Post Whore
Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:38 pm

It looks like the same exact thing that happened to the Arena when it was in Seattle. They probably had MNC Hunting Grounds and SWBFII.com on the same server box. That messes with Gametracker.

One day the Arena was offline for like 12 hours then when it came back online Game Tracker had combined our server stats with SWBFII Official Server! It was showing the Official Server name and the players on that server. But it still showed the Arena's ranked players and our server blog. It was weird. I wish I woulda done a screen shot.

But then it disappeared off GT and I couldn't add it back. And it made my favorites on my PS2 change from the Arena to Official as well. So that's why I moved it the first time. And each time I've had them move the server I have to tell them to make sure no other SWBF2 servers are going on the same box just so it doesn't do this.

What I think they do is just periodically consolidate game servers to use fewer machines. So, they put the Arena on a box but then a few months later when some other game servers have gone offline on multiple machines, they moved our server to the same box that has Official Server on it. That's probably what happened here. Both of them are in New York.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gametracker.com/bossplayer
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

Well it looks like they're still around, at least I can see them on the game selection screen. Apparently their IP has changed yet again and this time I don't see them on GameTracker. scratch Either they are not running on a static IP or they just got tired of constantly having their stats reset and skipped the whole GT thing.

Time to update the GT server links thread again??? laugh

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KillaK
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I forget who was saying this, but they said that the .com server and mnc server are uncrashable since they are being run on the same server box. Something to that effect. I doubt this is true, but does it make any sense?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

None whatsoever. No server is uncrashable. The SWBF2 dedicated server is such an unstable kluge it's amazing it doesn't crash more.

Apparently the people at .COM are tired of updating Gametracker with every IP change that they decided to sit this one out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KillaK
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Ah uncrashable was a bad word to choose. I meant hacked. Cause they use a certain program to cause servers to crash, but they need the server IP i think, but two servers have the same one i guess so they cant do it. I think that is more accurate to what I heard lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:11 pm

You can run multiple SWBF2 servers on the same machine with the same IP, but each will have a different port number. Depending what method they use to attack the server, they may get a 2-for-1 and crash them both. Some methods requre the hacker to log into the individual game server. Either way I don't see the shared IP as any advantage. It's probably AOWC just being cheap.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's up with .COM???   

Back to top Go down

What's up with .COM???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Star Wars Arena :: Star Wars Battlefront 2 :: General-
Jump to: